2019

Life'sWork enters a new era as we introduce a fresh new look. The brand new logo and website stay true to our rich history while looking onward to a future of serving individuals with disabilities and other barriers to employment.

2017

Timothy Parks is selected as our new President and CEO just in time for Life’sWork to celebrate its 90th year of service to the community with the inaugural Life’sWork Spring Gala

2012
2009

Life'sWork receives a grant to create the Choices youth program through the United Way of Allegheny County. the program received funding again in 2010 for 3 more years.

2006

Connections Call Center Training Program is launched for the purpose of training individuals on all aspects of the computer and tele-communications.

2005

Life'sWork celebrates grand opening of the Ben & Jerry's PartnerShop.

2004

After 14 years of service, Robert Mather retires and is succeeded by Everett McElveen. Six months later, the agency undergoes an "image makeover", complete with a new logo, tagline and website.

2000

The agency's present name emerges: Life'sWork of Western PA.

1996

In collaboration with the Mercy Life Center Corporation and Action Housing, Inc, VRC obtained a grant from the Department of Urban Development and Housing (HUD) to build Towne Place, an apartment building for 14 residents with chronic mental illness.

1992

Mon Valley Rehabilitation Center (formerly the Mon Valley Branch) moves its facility to Rostraver Township and establishes an office in Greensburg.

1989

Robert J. Mather becomes VRC's President and CEO, succeeding rehabilitation pioneer Leonard Weitzman, who retired after 41 years of distinguished service. VRC's Pittsburgh headquarters building is named, honoring Weitzman.

1978

VRC opens a branch facility in Westmoreland County to better serve people with disabilities in the Mon Valley.

1977

VRC's expansion needs trigger another successful capital campaign to raise $2.5 million after which two floors are added to the existing facility. This brings the total headquarters space to 126,000 square feet.

1970

Following a successful $2 million capital campaign, VRC moves from its Penn Avenue location into its newly constructed two-story, 65,000 square foot barrier free headquarters on Forbes Avenue in uptown Pittsburgh.

1961

Now called Vocational Rehabilitation Center of Allegheny County (VRC), the agency is incorporated under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as a non-profit 501(C)3 organization.

1953

Originally hired as a placement counsellor in 1947, Leonard Weitzman was elected to serve as the agency's Executive Director.

1946

As the agency's knowledge in rehabilitation expands and its training programs help to achieve basic vocational objectives, the organization adopts a new name - United Vocational and Employment Services.

1940

To better define the agency's mission, United Business Services changes its name to United Employment Services.

1932

United business Services becomes one of the charter members of the Community Chest (United Way).

1930

The NCJW established the Handcraft Guild to serve "the unskilled, unemployed men who were also physically or economically handicapped."

1927

The Industrial League is established by the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW), Pittsburgh Chapter, as an experiment to find out if women, "handicapped" by housework and children and could not leave their homes, could contribute to the family budget. United Business Services is founded by a group of Pittsburgh community leaders and supported by the Jewish community. Its initial purpose is to find jobs for immigrants who are in need of special help.