Start your career with Life'sWork of Western Pennsylvania, today!
$10.00 - $12.00 per hour
Life'sWork of Western PA, a Pittsburgh nonprofit organization, is seeking a part-time Community Support Specialist to provide vocational related support to youth and/or adults with disabilities in community settings. Life’sWork’s mission is to increase the quality of life of persons with disabilities and other barriers to employment through productive employment opportunities. Candidate will be responsible for assisting individuals with disabilities to gain vocational related experiences through community outings, to gain direct vocational experience through work-based learning experiences and job shadowing, and/or to attain and maintain competitive integrated community employment. Incumbent delivers a broad range of workforce services to employers, job seekers, general public and other customers.
1. Evaluation and interpretation of all information (referral information as well as information generated while in Life’sWork program) as well as observations to determine realistic potentials for occupational achievement.
2. Assist individuals with job exploration and job placement into competitive integrated community employment opportunities based on their abilities and interests through, but not limited to, resume development, interview preparation and assistance if needed, networking and traditional job development strategies.
3. Provide on-the-job training and assist employers in job re-design, accommodations, and/or accessibility and educate employers in methods of working with persons with disabilities.
4. Facilitate community experiences for individuals with intellectual disabilities through forming partnerships with area businesses/organizations/resources. Transport individuals to these opportunities and ensure their safety/wellbeing while maintaining their self-determination. Provide these experiences based information in the Individual Support Plan.
5. Facilitate work-based learning and job shadowing experiences for youth with disabilities as outlined in the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation’s guidelines.
6. Maintain records and documentation as required by each funding source and Life’sWork’s own policies and procedures.
7. Complete 24 hours per year of training including required specific trainings and certification.
8. Uphold the privacy of individuals served by Life’sWork.
• High school diploma. College degree preferred in a related field.
• At least two years’ experience in the employment or related counseling field.
• Prior experience working with individuals with disabilities a plus.
• American Sign Language a plus.
• Must have valid PA Driver’s License, adequate insurance, and be willing to travel. May have to work evenings or weekends, as necessary.
Life’sWork of Western Pennsylvania provides equal employment and opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation age, national origin, veteran's status and disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Case Managers in our Family Services department are responsible for providing In-Home crisis and non-crisis case management services to our clients.
- Provide In Home services to clients by PARTNERING with the referral agency, Children, Youth and Families, to identify and achieve both client and agency goals, by PROVIDING the client with referrals to community resources, mental health facilities, drug and alcohol treatment, and any other necessary referrals, as needed.
- Create and update client files, submit in–home services plan, weekly reports, contact summaries, and all other paperwork by ensuring all client information is implemented accurately into both the STAT and Key Information and Demographic System (KIDS), in a concise and timely manner.
- Participate in the In-Home Services On-Call Cycle by TAKING part in the assigned rotation, opening cases and assisting clients in an emergency or crisis situation.
- Providing the agency with outcomes by CONDUCTING Family Assessments with all assigned cases that are applicable.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field, prefer a Master’s Degree
- 3–5 years of equivalent professional experience.
- Basic knowledge of a personal computer and Microsoft Word.
- Possess a valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License, access to an automobile and current automobile insurance.
- Act 33/34, Criminal Background, and FBI Clearances are also required within 30 days upon hiring.
- Flexibility with regard to a work schedule to meet the availability of the clients.
- A willingness to transport clients is also required.
- Familiar with the human service field, the juvenile court system, child development, conflict resolution, and experience with individual and family counseling
- Must maintain client, program and agency information in a confidential manner and discuss such information privately with only appropriate personnel.
- Expected to treat all clients with respect and professionalism.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.