Start your career with Life'sWork of Western Pennsylvania, today!
$10.00 - $12.00 per hour
Life'sWork of Western PA, a Pittsburgh nonprofit organization, is seeking a part-time Community Support Specialist to provide vocational related support to youth and/or adults with disabilities in community settings. Life’sWork’s mission is to increase the quality of life of persons with disabilities and other barriers to employment through productive employment opportunities. Candidate will be responsible for assisting individuals with disabilities to gain vocational related experiences through community outings, to gain direct vocational experience through work-based learning experiences and job shadowing, and/or to attain and maintain competitive integrated community employment. Incumbent delivers a broad range of workforce services to employers, job seekers, general public and other customers.
1. Evaluation and interpretation of all information (referral information as well as information generated while in Life’sWork program) as well as observations to determine realistic potentials for occupational achievement.
2. Assist individuals with job exploration and job placement into competitive integrated community employment opportunities based on their abilities and interests through, but not limited to, resume development, interview preparation and assistance if needed, networking and traditional job development strategies.
3. Provide on-the-job training and assist employers in job re-design, accommodations, and/or accessibility and educate employers in methods of working with persons with disabilities.
4. Facilitate community experiences for individuals with intellectual disabilities through forming partnerships with area businesses/organizations/resources. Transport individuals to these opportunities and ensure their safety/wellbeing while maintaining their self-determination. Provide these experiences based information in the Individual Support Plan.
5. Facilitate work-based learning and job shadowing experiences for youth with disabilities as outlined in the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation’s guidelines.
6. Maintain records and documentation as required by each funding source and Life’sWork’s own policies and procedures.
7. Complete 24 hours per year of training including required specific trainings and certification.
8. Uphold the privacy of individuals served by Life’sWork.
• High school diploma. College degree preferred in a related field.
• At least two years’ experience in the employment or related counseling field.
• Prior experience working with individuals with disabilities a plus.
• American Sign Language a plus.
• Must have valid PA Driver’s License, adequate insurance, and be willing to travel. May have to work evenings or weekends, as necessary.
Life’sWork of Western Pennsylvania provides equal employment and opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation age, national origin, veteran's status and disability or any other characteristic protected by law.